SUPPORT TEACHER (LEVEL I): ELEMENTARY, GRADES 1-2
Juniper Hill School is seeking a elementary support teacher with at least a Bachelor’s degree in education or related field. Several years of teaching experience (non-formal and/or formal) are required. Candidate must demonstrate understanding of the developmental needs of elementary aged children and/or a willingness and interest to learn and have training in teaching peace and loving kindness in the classroom. The teacher may have experience in place-based education, nature and/or environmental education and/or the arts. Comfort and competent self-care and care of others in the outdoors in all seasons are essential for this position. Prior first aid/CPR certification or willingness to earn certification required (Juniper Hill School provides basic wilderness first aid and medication administration training).
The Level I support teacher is a self-motivated and directed individual with strong support role abilities; excellent organizational, communication, and teaching skills; the desire to listen and speak with children effectively and with compassion; the flexibility to operate independently and as part of a team; an engaging personality; and a genuine interest in learning and teaching of young children, working with families, and cultivating community connections. He/she will support, teach, and guide students through their school experiences and support the lead teachers in lessons, morning meeting, and all activities throughout the days he/she is there. A typical day includes all to more than half of the school day spent outside, in all weather conditions, as a springboard for the constructed and emergent curriculum.
This position requires the ability to work with a small staff team (the director/other teachers, as well as weekly language and music teachers). The Level I support teacher is a hard-working, enthusiastic, confident teacher and learner for a school which strives to be a model for 21st century progressive education in the midcoast area of Maine.
The Level I supporting teacher’s primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• supporting daily lessons, circle times, and outdoor adventures
• supporting 1st and 2nd grade children as they construct learning, both socially and academically, drawing on a variety of educational philosophies
• working with the Lead teachers to learn how to observe, assist, and lead lessons with children and formally reflecting with them during the week;
• helping to implement curriculum with the lead teachers
• assisting with observation and assessments the children (for example, by offering information for the teachers’ conferences with families)
• helping to reach into the community for developmentally appropriate projects and by bringing the community into the school
• supporting connection within our school community by, but not limited to: attending the parent-teacher group meetings at some point during the year, attending and contributing to all faculty and teaching team meetings, helping to plan festivals and celebrations, assisting with work projects
• gaining skills and knowledge about our school's philosophies by observation of other programs, readings, and trainings
Job Type: Full time, 10 month (exempt)
Start Date: August 20, 2019
Salary: Commensurate with experience (range between 23-27K)
Contact Person: Anne Stires, Director
Mailing Address: 180 Golden Ridge Rd. Alna, ME 04535